Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Did you make a mistake on your 2008 tax return?

If you've made a mistake on a return you've already filed, you'll need to file an ammended return to fix it. If you've claimed a deduction you shouldn't have, you should pay careful attention to fixing the error as soon as possible. If you don't correct it and the IRS catches your mistake, you can get hit with an underpayment penalty. Below is information from the IRS website regarding an ammended return. This information can also be found by copying and pasting the link below it.

Topic 308 - Amended Returns

If you discover an error after your return has been mailed, you may need to amend your return. The service center may correct errors in math on a return and may accept returns with certain forms or schedules left out. In these instances, do not amend your return! However, do file an amended return if your filing status, your income, your deductions or credits were incorrect.

Use Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to correct a previously filed Form 1040 (PDF), Form 1040A (PDF), Form 1040EZ (PDF), Form 1040EZ-T, Form 1040NR (PDF), or Form 1040NR-EZ (PDF). If you are filing to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original refund (you may cash that check). To avoid penalty and interest, if you owe additional tax for a current year amended return, file Form 1040X and pay the tax by April 15 of the current year. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is delayed until the next business day. The Form 1040X Instructions list the addresses for the service centers.

File a separate Form 1040X for each year you are amending. Mail each form in a separate envelope. Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. The form has three columns. Column A shows original or adjusted figures from the original return. Column C shows the corrected figures. The difference between Columns A and C is shown in Column B. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes being made and the reason for each change. Attach any forms or schedules that are affected by the change. Generally, to claim a refund, Form 1040X must be filed within 3 years from the date of your original return or within 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date.

Attach copies of any forms or schedules that are being changed as a result of the amendment including any Form(s) W-2 received after the original return was filed.
Tax forms can be obtained by calling 800–829–3676 or visiting www.irs.gov
Normal processing time for Forms 1040X is 8 to 12 weeks from the IRS receipt date.

Please Note: Your state tax liability may be affected by a change made on your federal return. For information on how to correct your state tax return, contact your state tax agency.


No comments:

Post a Comment